Group welcomes House proposal to ban Move It motorcycle taxis
October 25, 2023 | 6:47pm
MANILA, Philippines — A network of digital advocates welcomed the recent recommendation of a committee in the House of Representatives to prohibit the operations of a popular motorcycle ride-hailing app citing violations.
House committee on Metro Manila development chairperson Rolando Valeriano in a 15-page report earlier said that Move It’s operations “may have to be halted” due to questions concerning its connections with Grab Philippines — a transport network vehicle service (TNVS) which acquired the former in 2022.
Digital Pinoys national campaigner Ronald Gustilo said that banning the operation of Move It is “only just” as it allowed the alleged backdoor entry of Grab — a TNVS provider for four-wheeled vehicles — in the motorcycle taxi pilot study.
“This is a welcome development as the Grab-Move It deal has skirted previous orders from the technical working group of the motorcycle taxi program not allowing Grab to participate in the program,” said Gustilo on Wednesday.
“We are now urging the technical working group to heed the recommendation of the committee.”
Grab as fourth player in pilot study?
It could be remembered that the Department of Transportation allowed only three operators in its pilot study — Angkas, Joyride and Move It — which later on granted them provisional authority to operate.
Valeriano’s report said that Grab and Move It have yet to comply with requests for “information that are crucial in the determination of whether Grab is, in fact, a de facto fourth player in the pilot study.”
Philstar.com is currently reaching out to Move It and Grab regarding the issue but have yet to reply with a formal statement.
Digital Pinoys last March urged the government to come up with an anti-monopoly legislation in order to prevent TNVS companies from controlling the whole transportation sector.
In October 2022, the Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) said that Grab’s acquisition of Move it does not require its approval as the transaction did not breach the P50-billion threshold for compulsory notification.
Move It chairperson Francis Juan earlier said that the company remains as the third player in the motorcycle ride-hailing service and that Grab, by acquiring the company, “did not become a fourth player.”
Gustilo however urged Angkas or JoyRide to absorb the riders that may be affected should the technical working group of the pilot program heeds the committee’s recommendation so that the passengers will not be burdened.
“The affected riders should be accommodated by motorcycle taxi firms if the TWG will adopt the recommendation so that the passengers will not be burdened by this action,” Gustilo said.
Manila Rep. Joel Chua last year questioned Grab’s acquisition of Move It, saying it violated an earlier DOTr-TWG order to terminate the two firms’ partnership.