More vote buy/sell DQ cases being filed
October 6, 2023 | 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines — Almost 5,000 candidates in the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections (BSKE) have been ordered to explain allegations of premature campaigning.
Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman George Garcia said that as of Oct. 5, the poll body has issued show-cause orders to a total of 4,942 BSKE candidates.
Of the candidates given show-cause orders, Garcia said, 1,053 have submitted their explanations.
“Upon initial assessment, the number of disqualification cases for premature campaigning is at 211,” Garcia said.
He said the Comelec dropped 342 complaints for premature campaigning for lack of basis.
Yesterday alone, the Comelec’s Anti-Epal Task Force issued 270 show cause orders and filed 12 petitions for disqualification.
The Comelec has so far filed a total of 72 complaints of disqualification due to premature campaign.
The poll body will also file today five disqualification cases and five election offenses involving vote buying.
PCG to help secure BSKE
The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) vowed to help secure the BSKE after the Comelec allotted a budget of P10 million to the agency.
Garcia and Commissioner Rey Bulay, who is in charge of the October BSKE, turned over a check amounting to P10 million to PCG chief Admiral Artemio Abu and deputy chief for operations Vice Admiral Rolando Lizor Punzalan Jr. during a program at the PCG headquarters on Thursday.
The PCG is tasked to help in the distribution and collection of ballots as well as in ensuring security in select areas along with the military and the police, Abu said.
“We have 30,000 strong men and women of the PCG… all assets are strategically deployed nationwide,” he said. – Ghio Ong